« Home | Spring cleaning. » | CC vs DaVinci Code » | You can get wit this.... » | I'm Baaaackk! » | Death in the familia » | I'm going to church! » | On my Ipod. » | What I am wearing today: Shoes » | What I had for dinner last nite.... » | How long.... » 

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 

Geographic Literacy

Here is a story from Yahoo that talks about how most Americans cant read a map, or find anything on a map. I find this really appalling as I am a geographer by trade. I certainly didn't receive any geographic training until I went to college where I took my first geography course. I had some great geo professors who made me excited about the discipline. I was lucky to discover geography and be able to make a living from it. I hope that we all take this seriously as our children are lacking behind most countries in science and math (both major components of geography). If we don't do something now we are going to be in serious trouble.

It is sad. I knew people I went to school with who couldn't find New Jersey on the map... And we lived in Philly!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm DivineMsN
  • From Land of the Jersey Hair, New Joisey, United States
  • NYC girl who has away for awhile but somehow managed to make it back across the Mason-Dixon Line. Now living in NJ at least for the foreseeable future.
My profile

Links

  • Blogger Templates
  • Snarkspot
  • Girl on Film
  • No More Me. Ice Guy
  • UrbanMuse
  • Confessions of a Woman on the Verge
  • You're Shitting Me, Right?
  • Confessions of the Koog
  • Blogging Project Runway
  • Craftster
  • Four Four
  • Project Rungay
  • Boston Gal's Open Wallet
  • Saving Advice.com
  • Jennifer Weiner
  • Catster

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from hockeygrrl75 tagged with catones. Make your own badge here.

join my Notify List and get email when I update my site:
email:
Powered by NotifyList.com

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates